Historical outlines From the past to the present
The sunset of the village
Under Alfonso and his successor Francisco Maria, Castella was sold to Giovanna Ruffo, Marquise of Licodia and also Princess of Scilla, Castella, Cutro, Roccabernarda and of all the lands included. At the death of Giovanna (1650), Castella went to her son Francesco Maria.
During his reign, Pope Innocenzo X, (belonging to the Confraternity of “Frati Minori Riformati”) decided to eliminate Castella, by virtue of a general project in which some Convents were interestead.
The situation comes to a head and as Ruffos couldn’t pay their debts, all creditors requested the auction sale of all their own possessions. As a consequence, the lands of Cutro, Castella, Roccabernarda and others were purchased by Peter Carafa for 150,00 ducats on behalf of Francisco Filomarino (1644).
The Filomarinos were the last owners of the above mentioned lands.
The eversive law about feudalism would have encouraged the transfer of the lands to Baraccos and Berlingeris.
In 1799 Castella was still the centre of the fight between French and Bourbons and the landing-place for the troops coming from Sicily, but it was the end of the "roaring years" of Castella.
Later, Castella was included first in the district of Crotone and then it became a part of the Isola di Capo Rizzuto.
Bibliography , photos and references:
"Vita di Occhialì" - Gustavo Valente
"L'argenteria di Longobucco, l'abbazia di sant'angelo de frigillo e il porticciolo di castella" - Giuseppe Bresacchio
"Bella Italia" - Art and tourism Italian magazine
www.emmeti.it - Italian tourism website